Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day One or Ground Zero

I go back to work tomorrow after summer's vacation, and I'm trying to find reasons to continue in education. I teach English at a small high school in NC, and tomorrow begins my 17th year. Right now, I can't conceive of 14 more years, but I don't know what else I would do.

I guess the purpose of this blog is to find a reason to stay or find a way to quit. My plan is to write each day seeking out the good in education. At the end of my 200 day search, I'll be ready to make my decision.

This will be a pedagogical, emotional, spiritual, and personal quest. I'm growing curious as to what will come of it. I anticipate that a history of my career will unfold along with an examination of varying views on education.

I'm nervous about the outcome. Whenever I have found myself at a career crossroads, I've always had a drink and kept moving. Now, I find that I'm not able to silence the doubts and confusion. I'm a good teacher - I know that. I'd like to be able to say I'm a great teacher, but I don't think I can anymore. I'm afraid I'm becoming the "teach-out-of-the-same-plan-book-every-year" teacher. I've never respected those. If I've become what I hate, should I leave? Can I change? Can I love my job again?

We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment