Thursday, September 3, 2009

An Experiment

Yesterday, I decided that I would try a Writer's Workshop with one of my classes. Normally, I don't go into the touchy-feely method of teaching, but since normal hasn't worked for me lately, why not try something new?

Writer's Workshop is a method of instruction that allows students time to write on a specific assignment while the teacher conferences with each student individually. There is a lot more to it, but I wanted to just try a basic conference style setting with 28 juniors.

I gave the assignment, explained the process, and off we went for the last 30 minutes of our class. It was delightful! I got a chance to speak to about 1/2 the class - as individuals! The students actually worked on the assignments. There was very little talking; there was a lot of focus.

As pleased as I was to have the experiment work, I was doubly pleased at how I felt after the class was over. I really felt energized, not exhausted. I was motivated instead muddled. I also felt that I had really SPOKEN to my kids not just taught them.

As I continue this series, I really feel that my neglect of fostering the personal relationships with my students has made a big difference in how I feel about teaching. For some reason, I pulled away from them. I hate to admit it, but I think I stopped trying altogether. I'm embarrassed by that. I've always prided myself on being such a "good" teacher, and I allowed myself to forget the most important aspect of teaching...Love the students.

If Dale Jacobs reads this, he will insist I return to my Paolo Friere!

1 comment:

  1. I found your site from Keeping Up with the Jones. I am a veteran teacher. I retired from teaching in Illinois and moved down to Florida. Within 3 months I was chomping at the bit to go back to the classroom. I found a job and for the next four years I made it my goal to do all the tricks of the trade I had observed that worked for other teachers. I reworked my thinking about why I was teaching. Telling my third graders that they were loved and showing respect to them was a biggie. I stayed way past the time I could have left school and encouraged parents to call me on my cellphone if they needed to come in for a conference that day or whenever. If they saw my van in the parking lot they could call first and then come up and talk. I have since retired again and am homeschooling my granddaughters (but if truth be known I would rather be in a classroom). Step back from your situation and really think about why you went into teaching. Get some of that enthusiasm back and do what you now realize - LOVE the STUDENTS.

    ReplyDelete