Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Sense of Peace

For the last few weeks, it seems that all of my spiritual studies have led to the idea of "peace." Both the ideas of what brings peace and what disturbs peace. I find myself more focused and relaxed when I have peace - duh!

That peace is a major point of success in the classroom, too. I remember when I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher told me that no matter what, I needed to be the rock in the storm. I found myself recalling those words many times during my first 2 years as I couldn't seem to find any peace anywhere with my schedule. Forget about focus - I was teaching 7 classes between 2 schools.

As I found my niche and began growing in my career, I made "peace" my mantra. No matter the chaos, I had to be the calm. It was difficult to do sometimes because it is so easy to get stressed about life when things don't go your way. Over the years, I found myself on pretty solid ground. I felt at peace - most of the time.

One day this week, one of my coworkers was stressed about one of her classes. "There was too much chaos," she complained. "I spent more time telling them....than teaching." I know. I know that feeling all too well.

The nice thing was that I was able to really listen to her complaints/problems and offer some solid, focused advice. I knew as we were talking that I was telling her the exact right things. I didn't feel that I was elucidating on theoretical pedagogy; I was giving her practical advice the here and now. I felt great! (As an aside, it also felt great to know that she implemented some of my suggestions and felt good about the outcome.)

My first piece of advice to her was to be the calm in the storm. As that phrase keeps emerging I realize that one of the most valuable lessons I can teach my students is the value of peace - an inner peace.

I entitled this blog "A Sense of Peace," but I wonder if it might not be "A Sense of Babble." I just wanted to get this idea of peace and focus down. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

1 comment:

  1. Solid, focused advice for a fellow teacher - good! Do you think administration is where you need to be? Beside principal and the assistant principals, what other positions do they have in your high school system? Counselor? I still say that good teachers should stay in the classroom as long as they love what they are doing. I know this is your challenge to yourself this year. I like that you are writing everything down so you can review it and make a wise choice.

    I like your "sense of peace". I may have to use that - I just signed on to be the assistant leader for a Daisy troop and a Junior troop in Girls Sccouts. My granddaughters both want to be in a troop but no moms are stepping up - so good ole grandma gets to be an assistant leader for both. I will definitely need to practice a sesne of peace this coming year. But, the good news is that I will have a positive influence on many more lives - once a teacher, always a teacher.

    ReplyDelete