Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Question of Multi Tasking

I read an article in the paper last week that basically said multi-taskers don't do any task well. They can juggle a lot of responsibilities, but none of them are really satisfied with the job they do on anything. That started me to thinking...

I'm a multi-tasker and I'm not satisfied with the job I do on most tasks. (Bear with me. This isn't a Multi-taskers Anonymous meeting, I promise.) As I chose to stay at my school, I picked up more and more responsibilities. Most of the time they were just given to me; sometimes I chose them. For the past five years - since I got married - all of these tasks have become just tasks. I continue to do them, but much of the time my heart isn't in it.

Now that I have begun this "journey," I find the advice I give to my interns coming back to haunt me. "Don't be afraid to say NO. Monitor just how much you set yourself to do." I've not done a good job there.

My initial response is that these tasks take away from my time to prepare for my classes and build relationships with my students. But, if I'm going to be totally honest with myself - and that's the purpose of this quest - there are only 2 tasks that aren't directly student-related. The other tasks offer me the opportunity to build relationships with students that I don't normally teach.

So, I find myself recalling the last blog about "the easy way out." Is it just easy to do a mediocre job on a lot of tasks? Am I pulling away from the students because I have too much to do or am I creating too much to do so I don't have to focus on my dissatisfaction with my performance?

1 comment:

  1. Think about which extra tasks you have taken on make you the happiest. Remember that being a good team player means taking on a team job (but you don't have to do more than your fair share). Give away one of your tasks - the one that gives no satisfaction to you. Be ever mindful that building relationships with your students (and students not in one of your classes) is of the utmost importance. The very best feeling is when they return to school as adults and tell you the one thing you did/said which did so much to help them (and you don't remember doing/saying it). It is the every day greetings and small talk that help awkward students to feel that someone is interested in them as a person. A club might introduce more of your non students to your giving and loving personality. Remember that I am going to keep returning to your site and keep encouraging you. The profession needs to keep the good teachers and keep them from burning out!!!

    ReplyDelete