Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Lesson - Part II

I was doing very well with my attitude adjustment until 11:00 on the first student day. One of my colleagues got a call from her babysitter saying that they were taking her 4 month old to the hospital. He was unresponsive. An hour later, we received word that her son died.

Even now, I find it difficult to write about. There are no words to express the pain and sorrow and helplessness - I'm at a loss.

So, here's where the lesson comes in. My friend and her husband spoke at their child's funeral. One thing she said was that she became a teacher because she had strong Christian teachers who influenced her, and she wanted to make a difference in someone's life. She wanted to make sure as many of her students as possible would be in heaven to play with her child.

Teaching for the love of the students - I forgot all about that. I got so wrapped up in discipline and lesson plans and leadership that I forgot why I used to enjoy this so much. I used to let myself love my kids. I really got involved in their lives. Somewhere sometime I stopped.

So, I'm trying to get there again. I'm trying to make some real connections with kids that I would have let go. Maybe this is what I'm looking for in my work...meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment